Bring the outdoors in! There is nothing like a green home to keep you grounded and totally at peace in your surroundings. A little bit of shrubbery in the home isn’t just an H2O boost, it can have an amazingly positive impact in so many ways – one of them being how great your home will look with a few carefully placed plants. Try these beautiful ideas in your own home and go green!
One of the most beautiful ways to incorporate a little greenery into a room is with a terrarium. Terrariums are so big right now and so easy to care for. They are usually made up of cacti and succulents – the hardiest plants around – and they need very little water to survive. Placed at the centre of the dining or coffee table, they are eye-catching and beautiful to behold.
Into the Woods
We have embraced Woodland themed homewares – think of birch wallpaper, moss-covered rabbits and plywood moose heads. The innocence and magic of a woodland-inspired interior makes this style perfect for children’s rooms and bedrooms, where a quiet setting is required for play, rest and sleep. If you love ‘woodland’ but don’t wish to feel like you’re living in a national park, try a simple vase with some branches.
The Great Indoors
Unless you already know your ferns from your yuccas, it’s probably a good idea to ask for some advice before purchasing any indoor plants. The last thing you want is a dead stick in the corner of the room! Some plants still need a lot of sun and may need to be put outside every now and then for their fix of UV rays. Some indoor plants can also grow quite large, so consider this when you have your eye on the glorious tall palm for the living room.
Don’t have a particularly green thumb? Not to worry – there are some amazing fake plants and flowers out there that look like the real thing. Some plants even come in their own little pots so you don’t have to worry about finding a beautiful vase or planter to put them in. Just remember to wipe down your fake plants every now and then with a damp cloth to keep them looking nice.
Vessels and Vases
Whether it’s that tall palm or a simple bunch of daisies you will need a stylish vessel to hold your greenery. There are so many pots, urns, vases and bowls out there to choose from so you should have no problem finding something to complement your décor – beautiful glazed terracotta pots, porcelain vases and also some fabulous plastic vessels with an earthenware look that might be better if you are planning on moving the pots around the house.
Get the look…
• Terrariums are a wonderful way for you to incorporate greenery into your home. They are easy to look after and make stunning visual displays.
• The Woodland theme has taken hold! This style can be subtle – a vase of branches or some lovely moss-covered rabbits as bookends will add a magical touch to you home.
• Do some research into indoor plants before purchasing them. Some require more maintenance than others.
• There are so many wonderful fake plants and flowers out there. If you would rather not have to worry about looking after indoor plants, faking it could be your best option.
• A beautiful pot or vase for your plants can make a statement. Give some thought to the vessels your plants will grow in.
#1 - trendenser.com
#2 - designsponge.com
#3 - tammymitchell.typepad.com
#4 - updatedallas.com
Katie Evans - Milan Direct